Not only does this homemade sausage gravy taste better than any gravy I have tried, it is also quick, easy, and keto approved! My dad makes the best gravy around. Unfortunately, he uses all purpose flour which is not keto friendly. This recipe does his recipe justice and is low carb, quick and easy to make!
- Does sausage gravy have carbs?
- Is sausage Keto?
- Is sausage gravy low carb?
- Is sausage gravy keto?
- How to thicken gravy
- How to make sausage gravy without milk
- Does sausage gravy have dairy?
- How to make sausage gravy without flour
- Can sausage gravy be made ahead of time?
- Reheating Sausage Gravy
- How to make Low Carb Sausage Gravy
- Low Carb Sausage Gravy
Homemade sausage gravy is the perfect addition to many keto friendly breakfast foods. No more will you have to go out for breakfast on a Saturday or Sunday (I know I sure don’t want to) when you can make this sausage gravy in minutes and enjoy it with an omelet, scrambled eggs, or even as a topping for your favorite breakfast food! This homemade sausage gravy also happens to be gluten free so there is no reason not to try it!
Does sausage gravy have carbs?
Classic sausage gravy recipes are full of carbs but this recipe is a great low carb recipe and you wont miss the carbs at all. This recipe is low carb and keto approved!
Is sausage Keto?
Most sausages are keto approved! You can make keto sausage gravy with any type of ground sausage and you can add seasoning to your tastes. I prefer spicy breakfast sausage for my low carb sausage recipe.
Is sausage gravy low carb?
When you make a classic sausage gravy, it isnt low carb. You use milk and flour which both have sugar and carbs. In this recipe we are going to use arrow root powder as the thickener. Making arrowroot gravy is so easy and you can use arrowroot to create gravys for all your keto meals.
This sausage gravy is keto approved, but it tastes so good, you don’t have to be on a low carb diet to enjoy it! It is creamy and rich. With only a few simple ingredients, this recipe gets devoured by my family every time we make it!
Is sausage gravy keto?
Most of the sausage gravy you find in a mix or in a jar, usually has a lot of added flour and extra carbs, so it usually wont fit into a keto diet most days.
How to thicken gravy
I have been using a sury of a tbsp arrow root flour and a little liquid to thicken my gravy. This does add 2g carbs per serving, but I find it worth it and the texture is fantastic!
How to make sausage gravy without milk
There are a few reasons you might not want to use milk for this recipe. You can subsitute heavy cream for a few things. I have used almond milk, it just wont be nearly as creamy but it is still a good gravy! I have also used the Kroger Carb Master milk which is also lactose free for those of use that are sensitive to lactose. It is a great alternative and I really like the product as a milk.
Does sausage gravy have dairy?
Most sausage gravys are made with dairy, however, you can use a nut milk if you prefer. It wont be as creamy but it can work!
How to make sausage gravy without flour
There are a few subs that you can use instead of flour for gravy. Using more fats, like heavy cream or cream cheese can really help create the creamy texture. To thicken the gravy, you can use things like arrow root flour or xanthan gum.
Can sausage gravy be made ahead of time?
You can premake this gravy for the week! It should stay good in your fridge for up to 3 days or so.
Reheating Sausage Gravy
I like to reheat my gravy in the microave, mixing it every 30 seconds or so. This gravy heats up and is just as great as the day you made it. I have not tried to freeze this dish. I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t be able to be frozen and defrosted for a meal later.
How to make Low Carb Sausage Gravy
Making keto sausage gravy is so easy you are going to be shocked you havent made it before!
First, heat up the oil in a skillet and season the sausage.
After browning the sausage, add the heavy cream and seasonings.
While the gravy is simmering, make a slurry out of you arrow root and a little cool water.
Add in your slurry and cook another 5 minutes or so. The gravy will thicken up and be ready to serve!
Low Carb Sausage Gravy
- Heat up 1 tbps of olive oil in a large skillet.
- When the skillet is hot, the oil will be shimmering, add the sausage. I prefer spicy breakfast sausage so this is when I add the red pepper flakes. I like to add it in chunks and flatten in the skillet so more area gets nice and crisp.
- Once the pork is half way cooked through, flip and start to break up.
- Cook until the pork is cooked all the way through, 145 degrees internal tempature.
- Add in the heavy cream and the water. Heat to a simmer.
- While the skillet is simmering, in another small bowl, add one tbsp of arrowroot and a few tbsp of cold water. Mix into a slurry and add to the skillet.
- Bring down to a lower temp and let thicken. It usually only takes about five minutes or so.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed! Serve with some low carb biscuits or scrambled eggs.